- Cosmopolitan gastronomy with diverse cultural influences.
- Fresh local produce and exotic ingredients.
- Emphasis on the city's relationship with Jewish cuisine.
- Discover Thessaloniki's past and present through its unique flavors.
- Perfect for food and drink enthusiasts seeking an immersive experience.
Thessaloniki, since its foundation in 315 BC., has always been a cosmopolitan center, a crossroad of people and cultures. So is her gastronomy, a mixture of the traditions of Christian, Muslim, Armenian and Jewish populations, that coexisted in the city, as well as the Greek refugees from Asia Minor, who arrived in the early 20th century.
The city is located in the center of the fertile Macedonian flatland, with a very busy harbor. Subsequently, it’s market has always been full of fresh local agricultural and livestock products, as well as exotic food raw materials.
The tour is the perfect experience for those who love food & drinks, with extra stops at places that reveal the strong relationship of the town with the Jewish people.
Designed for those that want to get familiar with the city's past and present through the flavors and tastes that give Thessaloniki its unique gastronomic character.
Stops: Six (6) stops for coffee and local street food, traditional handmade pies, Greek cheese and cured meats, olives and extra virgin olive oil tastings, honey,sweets & traditional delicacies and three (3) stops of special Jewish interest.
Locations: Selected spots in the historical, traditional & modern commercial center of Thessaloniki, including a stop at the Synagogue, the Jewish monument and the place where the first train departed to Auschwitz.
- Lunch / dinner :As a group we will enjoy lunch or dinner at a taverna, where we will eat like locals several meze, traditional Greek dishes paired with local retsina, ouzo, tsipouro and wines.
- Shopping: Shopping of Greek gastronomic delicacies is possible, however, costs are not included.
During the tour, stores of special interest will be mentioned for personal information.
- Languages: English, Greek. Other languages available upon request.
- Transportation: Walking activity. The total distance is about 3 km and includes nine (9) stops.
- Accessibility: The activity is accessible for people with limited mobility.
- We act green: During the tour we use eco friendly personal single use cutlery and packaging.
- Children: Accompanied children 12+ are welcome.
- Useful notice: Suitable for walking shoes, rain coat and/or umbrella during rainy days.
- Special notice: In case of special dietary needs (allergies,specific restrictions etc.), please inform us in advance.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.