Sun, sea and a splash of culture at Agios Stefanos beach on Kos
One of the most photogenic beaches in Kos, Agios Stefanos manages to combine an impressive collection of talents. A long beach of sand and fine pebbles in Kefalos Bay, it is ideal for families and couples looking to spend a day by the sea.
But if you’re suffering a pang of guilt that you really should be soaking up a bit more culture, you can put down your bucket and spade at any time and amble over to of a pair of 5th-6th century AD churches, right alongside the beach.
The remains of columns, mosaic floors, baptisteries and other features give you the feeling that you’ve uncovered a lost treasure. And at the same time, there’s a strangely cosmopolitan air to the site – as if a magazine photo shoot is about to break out at any moment, with a backdrop of the Aegean Sea.
The setting is completed by the view of the islet of Kastri within the bay, with its elegant little blue-domed church dedicated to Agios Nikolaos (the patron saint of sailors) and the striking rocky outcrop rising from the island’s centre. You can catch a boat to the island, or even swim over, to have a look around.
From Kos Town:
- By car or taxi: 38km (45mins)
- By bus: More information
From Kefalos (the nearest village)
- By car: 4km (10min)
- By foot: 50mins (mostly along the coast)
- You can enjoy the scenery of Agios Stefanos beach at any time of year, but the temperature is ideal for swimming from May-October.
- If you are visiting in July-August, do so in the morning or afternoon.
It is best to visit in the months either side of peak summer (April-May & September-October) to enjoy the beach at its quietest.
- There are all the facilities you could want to spend a full day on Agios Stefanos beach (tavernas, beach bars, cafes, sunbeds & umbrellas and waters ports).
- Every accommodation option is available nearby, from luxury 5* hotels to rooms to let. If you want to stay close to the beach, Kefalos village is 4km away.
- There are other star beaches along Kefalos Bay, such as Paradise Beach.
- Don’t forget to bring everything you need to spend a day in the sun:
Beaches are delicate ecosystems so please help keep them in the best possible condition and leave only your footprints.