Kayaking to the magical Blue Caves of Zakynthos
It’s one thing witnessing the impressive colours of Zakynthos’ Blue Caves, and quite another doing so when you feel like you’re literally part of them. That’s the effect of visiting them by sea kayak or canoe.
The experience is challenging enough to give you a sense of holiday adventure, but more than doable as a family or group of friends. And it makes a wonderful alternative to visiting by boat.
There are nooks all the way along the wild and rocky northeastern coastline that no boat could get into. And once at the caves, you’ll have a unique water-level appreciation of the iridescent blue colours created by the play of sunlight on the cliff-face and the sea, together with the occasional orange-purple hit of coral in the rocks. Every one of the caves seems to put on a different light show just for you. Just make sure you stop for a snorkel whilst you’re there.
Most trips start from Agios Nikolaos and follow the coastline north, where the Blue Caves are located. And along the way, there’s a view of your island-neighbour Kefalonia that adds to an adventure that feels so much more intimate than it would on a boat.
To the port of Agios Nikolaos
From the main port of Zakynthos
- By car or taxi: 30km (55mins)
- By bus (KTEL)
From Zakynthos airport
- By car or taxi: 38km (55mins)
- By bus (KTEL)
- Organised kayak trips to the Blue Caves operate from May to October.
- You can visit the Blue Caves as a group on your own, but you’ll need equipment and knowhow.
- The experience is dependent on weather conditions.
May-June and September-October are the best and quietest months to visit Zakynthos.
The full experience, with time to snorkel at the caves, takes around 3hr30min.
- Distance covered: 7.4km (4 nautical miles)
- Kayaking level: Easy
- All your equipment will be supplied by the tour organisers: (kayak, paddle, lifejacket, snorkelling equipment)
Make sure you have:
The charm of canoeing to the Blue Caves is that it is a completely unspoilt environment, so please help keep it that way.