- Explore Kalamata, a beautiful coastal city in the Peloponnese, with a local guide on a 3-hour walking tour.
- Discover the city's history, from Homer and the heroes of the Iliad to the Byzantine era, and up to the 19th and 20th centuries.
- Visit significant landmarks including the Cultural Centre, General State Archives Building, Church of Agios Nikolaos, and the area around Kalamata's Frankish Castle.
- Immerse yourself in local culture, hear stories of the people and their way of life, and learn about the history behind the city's sights.
- Stop at a traditional shop for a taste of local delicacies and explore the rich culinary tradition of the area.
- Receive insider tips on shopping, dining, and entertainment from your local guide, ensuring a memorable experience in Kalamata.
Discover the sights of Kalamata with a local!
If you’re looking for authentic hospitality, fun and relaxation in one of the most beautiful cities of the Peloponnese, this 3-hour walking tour is just for you. Join us for a wonderful journey through space and time, where legends come to life and become a game, weaving the marvellous history of Kalamata in Messinia region.
You’ll stroll around one of the most beautiful coastal cities of the Peloponnese: Kalamata.
Our journey through time starts from Homer and the heroes of the Iliad. It then continues on to the Byzantine years with the Franks, the Venetians and the Turks, reaching all the way up to the 19th and 20th century, when Kalamata was reborn through the ashes and transformed into the beautiful modern city it is today.
The Walking tour experience is available Monday-Sunday all-year round, either in the mornings or in the afternoons. Greek official holidays are excluded.
The Walking experience
Put on your walking shoes and enjoy a beautiful stroll through the streets of Kalamata!
Maria, our passionate food lover and local host, will be waiting for you at the beautiful central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Geogiou Square, (Πλατεία Βασιλέως Γεωργίου) in front of the Statues (Agalmata) of the Messinian war Heroes of 1821.
What you’ll discover
After a warm welcome, you’ll set off on your walking experience and together we’ll discover some of the more interesting sights. You’ll not just find out all about their history, but also about the people of the time, their way of life and funny stories about their day-to-day routine.
Some of the Walking Tour highlights:
- Cultural Centre – Nikolaos and Regina Pantazopoulou Neoclassical Building
- General State Archives Building
- Church of Agios Nikolaos
- 19th century Classical and Neoclassical Buildings
- Mavromichali Square
- Victoria G. Karelias Collection of Greek Traditional Costumes Museum
- Frangolimna Square
- Old Karelia Tobacco Factory
- Upper Square / Church of Presentation of Jesus (Ypapanti tou Sotiros)
- St. Constantine and Helen Convent
- The area around Kalamata's Frankish Castle
- Archaeological Museum
- Amfeia Square or Paplomatadika (Quilt Makers)
- Byzantine Church of the Holy Apostles
- Othonos Square
- Varvoutsis and Lontos Galleries
The leisurely stroll continues around the small alleys of the city and walk around the sights that interest you.
Half-way through the tour, you might feel a bit peckish, so stopping at a small traditional shop for a few minutes is a must! It’s the ideal way to get to know the rich culinary tradition of this area, tasting one of its local delicacies.
During our walking tour, you’ll have time to do some shopping and at the end you may wish to enjoy a mouthwatering local lunch in one of the cosiest Coffee Shop-Cum-Ouzo taverns in Kalamata.
Why tour with a local
Visiting a new place is always a unique and beautiful experience. You usually visit museums, marvel at monuments and the sights, go shopping around the main streets and maybe watch the people go by.
How would you feel if you were able to discover the old, hidden stories behind everything you see? Or if you found out about true stories of love and betrayal that have become novels?
If you have a local walking next to you, you’ll get to do all that and so much more!
Before we bid our farewells, we’ll give you all the inside tips about where to shop, where to have the most delicious meal and where to have fun in Kalamata. You just need to ask!
- Local delicacies / coffee/ bottle of water
- Local host throughout the experience
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- Light or full local lunch (upon request and at an extra small charge)
- Personal purchases from local shops (optional)
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Transfer services may be provided upon request and at an extra charge
- The walking tour experience may be enriched with any of the following experiences: a Wine Tasting, an Olive oil tasting or a Honey tasting, the Traditional Food Tour, or the Cooking class & private dining with Head Chef upon request and at an extra charge.
- Availability: Monday-Sunday, all-year round, excluding Greek official holidays.
- The walking tour experience takes place either in the mornings or in the afternoons after coordination.
- Meeting point and time: At the beautiful central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Geogiou Square, (Πλατεία Βασιλέως Γεωργίου) in front of the Statues (Agalmata) of the Messinian war Heroes of 1821 at 09:00 a.m.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accessible 80%.
Payment and booking
- Bookings: In order to organize the walking tour experience in the best way, the booking and the full payment must be made the latest one day before.
- For last minute requests, please contact us via email to check availability.
- When the booking and the transaction are completed, the experience is officially confirmed by Mama's flavours through email.
- All payments can be made through our booking engine, bank transfer (you can contact us via email for this option) or Paypal.
- Cash is not accepted.
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.