In the western part of the county, where the Ionian sea embraces the Messinian shore, we meet the lagoon of Yalova or Divari.
The area, being integrated into the environmental program natura 2000, is the largest wetland in southern Greece and offers shelter to wild migrating birds, which we have the opportunity to observe. Here lives the endangered African chameleon while numerous birds such as herons, kestrels, aegean seagulls, flamingos, ospreys, royal eagles and other migratory and endemic birds find shelter at this hospitable and safe environment.
Following the path around the lagoon, we have the opportunity to observe its ecosystem and gain insight and information on this unique and sensitive natural environment. Along the way, we cross the beautiful beach of Voidokoilia and then we go up the hill of the peninsula of Koryfasio. On our way we get the chance to explore the cave of Nestor, the mythical king of Pylos.
At the top of the hill we discover the medieval castle of Paleocastro and we walk over its fortifications. We learn about the intense past history of the castle, for its strategic location that made it a valuable trophy for every conqueror over time. At this point we discover the rare geomorphology, the beauty and uniqueness of the landscape. While standing between the waterland, we enjoy the panoramic view of the Ionian Sea, the beautiful lagoon of Yalova, the famous beach of Voidokilia and the bay of Navarino.
Duration: 5,5 Hours
Trail distance: 10 km
Route type: Circular
Activity duration with breaks: 5-6 hours
Suitability: Suitable for all / relatively good fitness is required
Meeting point: Gialova
· Bottle of water
· Sunscreen (during summer months)
· Hiking shoes or trainers (Open shoes, sandals or flip-flops are unsuitable)
· Hiking backpack (if available)
· Weather will not affect the operation of the tour. However if canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
· Confirmation for this tour will be received at time of booking
· The route we follow is mostly flat course. The ascent and descent on the hill of Palaiokastro is the only elevation variation of the route.
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.