The Association of Licensed Tourist Guides has 1500 members who guide in sites all over Greece and cover 28 different languages. Our members’ profession is regulated and protected by the Law, giving the right to guide in historical and cultural sites exclusively to those who have completed a 2-year education at the State School of Tourist Guides covering a wide range of knowledge from archaeology, history, religion, mythology, geology, geography, art history, folk art, environmental science, alternative forms of tourism (religion, gastronomy), tourism sustainability, guiding technique, tourist law and tourism psychology. Those fulfilling the state standards are entitled to bear the badge of licensed Tourist Guides given by the Ministry of Tourism and distinguish themselves as the authentic professional guides of our country.
Tourist guides are narrators who use speech as their tool to transmit knowledge at the place where things happen or happened. Their voice and performing skills and their ability to adjust to their audiences’ receptivity create an intimacy which is different every time they repeat the story. They have to be able to prioritise and select from a rich repertoire of academic background and turn their knowledge into living history. They are like academics but they never write, they only speak. They are like teachers, but they don't use notes or tests, they entertain people in their free time and holidays. Their version of teaching is connected to the moment and the space and it’s free, it is a living experience that can mark visitors for a lifetime.
8 Reasons to look for a Licensed Tourist Guide
- Because they are the true ambassadors of Greece and Greek culture
- Because they speak your language fluently and can cover a diverse range of topics of interest
- Because not only do they initiate you into Greek History and culture but they can also link the distant past to the present day and bridge cultural differences
- Because they keep enriching their already sophisticated knowledge background through their consistent personal research and by attending the annual training seminar and educational excursions organized by our Association
- Because unlike most other countries, Greek Guides are not specialized in one area only, but can and will guide you in every single place of the country
- Because they embody the concept of Greek hospitality and establish a sense of safety, comfort and trust
- Because on foot, on a coach, on a bike, a ship, even a helicopter, they can help you to discover Greece’s true identity
- Because, in short, your Greek guide is the person you know best in Greece, a friend you can rely on and have fun with
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most trusted experience providers across Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.