The Heraklion Archaeological Museum prides itself for its unique Minoan collection, which includes the masterpieces of Minoan art. It is rightly considered as the Museum of Minoan Culture par excellence.
Located in the town center, it was designed by the architect Patroklos Karantinos and was built between 1935 and 1958 on a site previously occupied by the Venetian monastery of Saint-Francis which was destroyed by earthquake in 1856. The ruins of the monastery are visible in the museum’s garden.
The Heraklion Archaeological Museum is a Special Regional Service of the Ministry of Culture. Along with the permanent exhibition, the museum organizes temporary exhibitions in Greece and abroad, creates and implements educational programs, collaborates with scientific and scholarly institutions, and houses a variety of cultural events.
The first archaeological collection of the city of Heraklion was constituted in 1883 with the initiative of the local Association of Friends of Education, which was headed by the doctor and antiquarian Joseph Chatzidakis. Chatzidakis also obtained permission from the Ottoman authorities to establish the first 'archaeological service'. The collection was housed inside two rooms in the courtyard of the cathedral of Saint Minas, and by 1900 was enriched with private donations, new acquisitions and finds from the first small excavations and surface surveys. After large-scale excavations began on the island in 1900, the archaeological collection housed the first important finds. Around that time, under the first Keepers of Antiquities Joseph Chatzidakis and Stephanos Xanthoudidis, the museum was ceded to the newly established Cretan state and was subsequently moved to the barracks - now housing the Region of Crete Service.
The first display room was built in 1904-1907 over the remains of the famous Venetian monastery of Saint Francis, next to the Hounkiar Djami. The antiquities' collection was moved there after the addition of a second room in 1908. In 1912, this small building was given a Neoclassical appearance with the construction of a west wing designed by architect Wilhelm Dörpfeld and Panagis Kavvadias, Secretary of the Athens Archaeological Society. The collection continued to be enriched by the finds from the great excavations by Greek and foreign archaeologists.
The construction of the current museum began in 1937 on plans by architect Patroklos Karantinos. During the Second World War the museum's antiquities were at great risk, but they were saved thanks to the exertions of Professor Nikolaos Platon. Platon supervised the re-exhibition of the museum's treasures and the museum opened its doors to the public in 1952. The display illustrated the chronological development of Minoan civilization, the history of archaeological research and of the great discoveries on Crete during the early twentieth century. In 1962 the museum bought the collection of the Cretan doctor Stylianos Giamalakis, which was displayed on the first floor. In 1964 a new wing was added to the building and the museum's director Stylianos Alexiou subsequently completed the exhibition.
In 2014, an extensive renovation project (co-funded by the European Union) including building restoration and redevelopment of the exhibition was accomplished and the Heraklion Archaeological Museum opened to the public again.
Persons with disabilities and one escort (the latter if the disability is 80% or over) are entitled to free admission, on presentation of an ID card or passport and a Unified Social Security Fund (EFKA) certificate of disability (issued by the Disability Certification Centre – KEPA) for Greek citizens, or an equivalent certificate from the relevant body for non-Greek citizens.
Public areas of the Museum are wheelchair accessible. The main entrance of the Museum (Xanthoudidou 2) have a special ramp for wheelchairs and strollers. In the Museum, there is elevator and toilets for individuals with disabilities. Also, a wheelchair is available for use free of charge, at the entrance of the Museum, on provision of identification.
The cloakroom is located on the ground floor of the Museum, where all backpacks and packages must be deposited. The Museum holds no responsibility for valuables or fragile items deposited in the cloakroom.
Amateur photography is permitted in the Museum exhibition areas, except for displays containing unpublished objects, which have a “no photographs” sign. Use of flash photography and professional equipment is not allowed. Photographs may not be published in print or digital format without the permission of the Museum.
Professional photography and cinematography with professional equipment in the Heraklion Archaeological Museum is permitted on application to the Museum. Applications may also be made requesting photographic material from the Museum Archive. For application forms in .doc and .pdf format, please click here: application forms
Use of mobile phones (cell phones) is forbidden in the Museum exhibition areas