- See the historic location which hosted the world’s 1st Academy.
- Visit the Plato's Academy Digital Museum (free entrance).
- Join a productive and joyful philosophical quest.
- Put yourself in the shoes of an ancient Greek philosopher.
- Develop your critical thought and self-awareness through Socrates' maieutic (midwife) method.
The authentic experience reviving the ancient greek philosophical quest.
Welcome to Plato's Experiential Workshop! Become Plato’s student with this highly interactive, fun & educational philosophy workshop, featuring dialogues and debates, at the place where the grand Master taught. No previous experience is required.
Begin with reading aloud philosophical quotes in ancient Greek (oh yes!) and commenting on them. A short exploration of the Digital Museum follows (free entrance), gathering specific information about Plato's life and works and his Academy.
Walk through the archeological park of the Academy and find yourself on the ruins of the ancient Gymnasium. Share the information you gathered during the museum visit, and discuss how it was to be a philosopher back in ancient Athens.
Right after, participate in dialogues, discovering the deeper meanings of the famous ''Allegory of the Cave''. Your instructor will use Socrates' maieutic (midwife) art, as well as the platonic dialogue techniques, to facilitate exchanging opinions, beliefs, experiences, and views, just as the ancient Greek philosophers did.
Apply what you learned in a short debate game, speaking on a modern life case study, based on Plato's opinion of how a philosopher should act.
The whole experience will last approximately 2 hours, depending on the group size.
- Expert facilitator
- All materials
- Liability Insurance
- Local Taxes 24%
- No Guided tour (this activity is an educational interactive workshop).
- Basic philosophy workshop, suitable for people without previous knowledge.
- Plain English language. There will be no difficult words or terminology.
- Suitable for people over 16 years old. Underaged participants must be supervised by at least one designated adult.
- Plato's Digital Museum's working schedule changes constantly, plus sometimes it is closed without any announcement.
- As this workshop takes place at a Historical site, involving Heritage and Cultural aspects, all participants are required to respect ethic, law, and respectful conduct etiquette (soberness, cleanliness, photo/video shooting, dress code, loudness etc) and be respectful and polite during the entire session. Our facilitator has the right to terminate your participation without any refund in case your behavior is disrespectful in regards to the place or the people.
- Wheelchair accessible.
- This workshop is an outdoor experience therefore it requires good weather. In the case it is canceled due to poor weather, you will be notified at least 3 hours ahead and will be offered the option to choose between a different date, a similar workshop, or a full refund.
- Archaeological excavation often takes place at Plato's Academy Park. In that case, we will see the ancient Gymnasium ruins from a short distance and settle at a different spot in the Park.
- Attending this workshop in public space means you consent to photo/video shooting which may occur within the course of this service, including the future publication of this material by us or the other participants. You may withdraw your consent at any time (before or after the workshop) by contacting us in writing. We shall not be held accountable for pictures and videos of you, taken by others during our services and for the use of such photo and video materials by those third parties.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.