- Uncover the history of Nikopolis, an ancient city founded by Augustus, and its theater, which stands as a testament to the cultural importance of the region.
- Discover the archaeological site of Amvrakia, home to the ruins of an ancient theater that once served as a cultural and religious center in the region.
- Marvel at the impressive ruins of the ancient theater of Cassope, which boasts stunning views and offers insights into the region's rich history.
- Visit the ancient theater of Gitana, an important site that showcases the architectural and artistic excellence of the Hellenistic period.
- Explore the ancient theater of Dodoni, one of the most significant archaeological sites in Greece, where the famous oracle of Zeus was located.
Total distance: 238 km
Estimated time (including audio): 6.2 hours
Number of stops: 7
My name is Praxias the Athenian and any man of good taste will tell you what a great actor I am. I have faithfully served god Dionysus for many decades and now, as I approach the end of my days, eager to share my divine skills with the common people, I am on a grand farewell tour here in Epirus, a land of glorious cities and smart audiences.
Stop 1: Singing in the city of Victory (Nicopolis)
It is always a thrill to visit Nicopolis. The divine Augustus must have been guided by the gods themselves when he chose this location to set up his camp against Antony and Cleopatra and when he founded his city.
Stop 2: The Great Games (Nicopolis)
Dionysus and Apollo are both sons of Zeus and I, being a servant of the former cannot fail to pay homage to the latter. Fortunately the Actian Games were in full swing when I arrived in Nicopolis
Stop 3: Pocket Theatre (Amvrakia)
What men expect is not brought to pass, but a god finds a way to achieve the unexpected. This line by Euripides captures my feelings regarding this vile betrayal. May Dionysus punish those who disrespect his servants.
Stop 4: A city upon a hill (Cassope)
For many years Cassope lies in ruins, frequented only by vine-growers and shepherds. But I was determined to see with my own eyes its magnificent theatre and spend a few days in blissful seclusion.
Stop 5: The great theatre (Cassope)
Walking through the ruins of the city is an incredible experience which culminates in the arrival before this magnificent theatre, where I decided to rehearse some of the plays I intend to present in Dodona.
Stop 6: The art of politics (Gitana)
The theatre is truly one of the most important buildings in any Greek city. Even in this mosquito-infested land, the people spared no expense in their desire to acquire all the elements of a superior urban civilization.
Stop 7: A bloody new world (Dodona)
I am finally in Dodona, the ancient religious center of Epirus where mortals learn the future from the rustling of the sacred oak leaves. Here I hope to find the man who will pay my debts and relieve me of my pursuers.
Know before you go
- The mobile signal may be weak at the site(s). Download your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit to fully enjoy it.
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones.
Why take a self-guided tour?
This is a self-guided tour based on the award-winning storytelling concept developed by Clio Muse and the fascinating narratives prepared by our handpicked destination experts.
You can enjoy each multilingual tour by using your smartphone or tablet at your own pace even if you are offline. The interactive map on your screen will guide you step-by-step as you explore all points of interest along your route. Each stop comes with a selection of our signature stories allowing you to tailor the tour experience to your personal interests and schedule.
After downloading Clio Muse Tours app, you can access this tour and activate it any moment you wish and also repeat it any time. To best enjoy our multimedia self-guided tour (comprising maps, video, audio and text) we recommend the use of headphones.
About the provider
Clio Muse Tours
Explore more things to do
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.