2 Day Hike Olympus is a mountainous 2 day adventure tour on the legendary Mt. Olympus, home of ancient Greek Gods!
Mount Olympus is the highest mountain in Greece, located in northern Greece comprising a natural boundary between the prefectures of Macedonia and Thessaly. Mount Olympus’ highest point is the summit of Mytikas at 2,918 m. Since ancient times, Mt. Olympus has proved a difficult crossing point for numerous aspiring conquerors of the Greek territory. It is a place of divine beauty, notable in Greek mythology as home of the Greek Gods. Its proximity to the coastline overlooking the Aegean Sea offers breathtaking views. The characteristic silvery mist that engulfs the mountain creates a unique atmosphere. 1938 it was declared Greece’s first National Park due to its exceptional biodiversity and rich flora.
On our 2 Days Hike Olympus tour, we will hike through this monumental natural landscape. Thickly forested slopes and steep rocky and cloud-covered peaks, host more than 1,500 plant species, some of them rare and endemic, as well as wolves, jackals, deer, and some endangered bird and butterfly species. The mountain is uninhabited, however, there are 4 organized mountain huts (In our tour we will stay at Spilios Agapitos mountain hut) offering shelter and food to its visitors, that stream from all over the world to admire its beauties. It has an extensive network of trails, its total length exceeding 160 km. The 2 days/ 1 night Mt. Olympus tour is also offered on a semi-guided basis for more experienced hikers.
DAY 1: LITOCHORO AND HIKE TO MT HUT SPILIOS AGAPITOS, ALT 2.100M
Estimated hiking time: approx. 3- 4 hours
Arrival in Litochoro main square (Trekking Hellas Base) to meet the guide and the rest of the hiking group. Transfer to Prionia, from where we begin our hike, at an altitude of 1,100 meters. The route from Prionia to Spilios Agapitos mountain hut is the most widely used hiking trail on Mount Olympus and part of the E4 European Path. Prionia is the highest point accessible by car. The biggest part of this hike goes through thick forests of pine, beech and fir trees, and is in good condition. We make our way up to an altitude of 2,100 meters and reach the mountain hut Spilios Agapitos where we spend the night.
- 10.00: Meeting at Trekking Hellas Base
- 10.30: Transfer to Prionia
- 11.15: Start Hiking to Spilios Agapitos (3-4 hours)
- 15.00: Arrival to Spilios Agapitos and rest
DAY 2: PEAL ASCENT TO MYTIKAS, ALT 2,915M, & RETURN TO LITOCHORO
Estimated Walking Time: approx. 8 – 9 hours
After an early morning rise and breakfast, we have two options, depending on the fitness level of our participants and local weather conditions at the time. Our first option is to climb to Skala at an altitude of 2,882 meters, cross a narrow ridge and then climb to the summit of Skolio at an altitude of 2,911 meters (4-5 hours hiking and/or scramble on narrow paths with an altitude gain of 800 meters). Our second option, provided weather allows and snow conditions are right, is to ascend the highest summit, Mytikas at an altitude of 2,917 meters, following a narrow gorge (this part requires around 1 km of scrambling).
After summitting we head back, descending by following the same route. Along the way we cross the spectacular precipice under the summit of Stefani called the Throne of Zeus and reach the Plateau of the Muses. We descend passing by the Spilios Agapitos mountain hut taking the main path until we reach Litochoro.
- 05.30 : Wake up & breakfast
- 06.30: Start hiking to peaks (5-6 hours)
- 12:00: Relax to Spilios Agapitos mountain hut
- 13.30: Hike back to Prionia from the same way (2-3 hours)
- 16:30- Arrive to Prionia 1100m and drive back to Litochoro
- 17:30 End of program
- Accommodation in mountain huts (or camping tents)
- Trekking Hellas English speaking guide
- Transfer Litochoro – Prionia – Litochoro
- Safety Equipment for the ascend to the summit Mytikas (helmet, harness, rope)
- Special "passport - info guide" for Litochoro village, including discount in selected shops
- Liability insurance
You should bring with you:
- Please try to travel as light as possible; keep in mind that you must carry everything you bring during the whole hike.
- Large, comfortable backpack (65-85 liters) with padded straps and waist belt, internal frame preferred; waterproof liner recommended keeping clothing, etc. dry inside.
- Sturdy, worn in trekking shoes.
- Good waterproof top with hood.
- Warm clothes, both for windy / cold daytime conditions and for the cool evenings (fleece tops or similar).
- Shorts and long trousers for walking, preferably quick-drying material (cotton or poly-cotton not denim).
- Sweatshirts or T-shirts for walking, at least one with long sleeves and collar (against sun-burn).
- Sleeping bag or similar (e.g. duvet cover), for the overnights in the shelter or tent.
- Sunglasses, towel, sun hat or cap, sun block.
- Wash bag and simple first aid kit (plasters or blister kit, aspirin or similar, antiseptic).
- Photographers: bring your cameras.
- Torch (head torch if you have one).
- Walking sticks.
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and action plan, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
About the provider
Unbesorgt buchenWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.