- Cosmopolitan gastronomy blending various cultural influences.
- Fresh local produce and exotic ingredients.
- Rich historical context and educational experience.
- Fun, enjoyable exploration of unique flavors.
Thessaloniki, since its foundation in 315 BC., has always been a cosmopolitan center, a crossroad of people and cultures. So is her gastronomy, a mixture of the traditions of Christian, Muslim, Armenian and Jewish populations, that coexisted in the city together, with the gastronomy of the Greek refugees from Asia Minor, who arrived in the city in the early 20th century.
The city is located in the center of the fertile Macedonian flatland, with a very busy harbor. Subsequently, its market has always been full of fresh local agricultural, livestock and sea products, as well as exotic food raw materials.
This educational and entertaining activity is the perfect experience for those who love food & drinks and want to get familiar with the city's past and present through the flavors and tastes that give Thessaloniki its unique gastronomic character.
Locations: Selected spots in the historical, traditional & modern commercial center of Thessaloniki
Stops: Six (6) to seven (7) stops for degustation of local beverages and street food, traditional handmade pies, Greek cheese and cured meats, olives and extra virgin olive oil tastings, honey and other seasonal delicacies.
We will visit the renovated Modiano market, one of the typical markets in the heart of the city that reflects the culture of Thessaloniki. In Modiano you can shop gifts for your loved ones and grab a bite choosing between
traditional delicacies and modern tastes.
- Lunch: As a group we enjoy lunch at a taverna, where we eat like locals several meze and traditional Greek dishes paired with retsina, ouzo and tsipouro.
- Shopping costs. During the activity stores of special interest will be mentioned for personal information
- Languages: English, Greek. Other languages available upon request.
- Transportation: Walking activity. The total distance is about 2-3 km and includes six (6) to seven (7) stops.
- Accessibility:The activity is accessible for people with limited mobility.
- We act green:During the activity we do not use plastic disposable cutlery and packaging.
- Children: Accompanied children 12+ are welcome.
- Walking shoes, raincoat and/or umbrella during rainy days are recommended.
- In case of extremely bad weather the activity is cancelled
- Special notice: In case of special dietary needs (allergies, special diet, restrictions etc.), please inform us ahead.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Unbesorgt buchenWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.