Join our Athens mythological tour & get to the heart of the ancient world by exploring Athens' landmark sites through timeless myths. Uncover fascinating stories from ancient Greek mythology, decode their meaning and the real-life events hidden behind them!
- All the best landmarks in the city. From the world-famous Acropolis to the majestic Olympian Zeus Temple, and the Ancient Agora.
- Get ready for a crash course in Greek mythology. Learn all about the Greek gods and heroes and the historical events behind their myths.
- Understand the Ancient Greek society. Examine the social, cultural and political context of the myths and how they helped Athens into becoming one of the greatest cities of the world.
- A city with a view. Enjoy spectacular views and discover hidden ancient corners.
Start your tour at the magnificent Temple of Olympian Zeus which was, and still is, the unofficial entry point to Athens and the mythological start of this glorious city.
From there, your English-speaking guide will take you all the way to the Theater of Dionysus and the Acropolis to visit the Temple of Athena Nike, the Temple of Erechtheion, the Propylaia and of course, the marvelous Parthenon.
It is here that the most famous ancient myths come to life, stories about Gods and Heroes, such as almighty Zeus, Athena, Goddess of Wisdom and protector of Athens, Poseidon, God of the Sea, Dionysus, God of Wine and many more. But what’s even more intriguing is that you’ll also find out what truths hide behind these myths and why the Ancient Greeks created them.
Your tour back in time continues to the Ancient Agora. It is here that democracy was born and where great philosophers such as Socrates spoke about global truths. Here you’ll have a rare chance to see the Hephaisteion, the most perfectly preserved of Greece’s temples and one shared between Athena and the God of the forge, Hephaestus. You ‘ll hear more mythical stories about Theseus and the Minotaur, the jealous wife of Zeus, Hera and Aphrodite, Goddess of love and beauty.
This walk will also help you figure out how this city was created and how it rose to become one of the greatest cities of the old world, how Athens managed to create such a reputation and such monuments that are still immortal and legendary. Just like their Gods.
- Licensed English speaking guide
- Fun Ancient Athens Map
- Please be at the tour starting point 10' prior to the tour starting time.
- Your meeting point is the entrance of Olympian Zeus Temple on Vasilissis Olgas avenue (pedestrian street)
- For this tour you will need a special combo ticket (not included in the price) which you can get with your guide without any queuing. Please do not purchase any tickets to the Acropolis beforehand as they may not be deducted from the combo price ticket.
- Children and individuals between 6-25 need to present a valid identity card or passport to be entitled to free or reduced entry (depending on their nationality)
- Tour not operating on January 1st, March 25th, May 1st, December 25th & 26th, Easter Sunday.
About the provider
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.