Athens' street art scene is one of Europe’s hottest, home to local and international street artists alike. Join us in this alternative art tour with a local street artist as your guide to discover classic artworks and underground pieces that play with fresh ideas, messages, and styles.
- Find the city’s biggest, newest and best pieces and learn more about the meaning of the works of art you see – you don’t have to be an expert because you’ve got one with you!
- Discover cool neighborhoods that support and showcase street art
- Understand how each piece relates to the current social and economic situation of Athens today
- Spend time looking at and talking about the street art scene with someone who’s actually part of it – your guide!
Athens is a street artist’s paradise: from the established to the constant streams of new talent spraying up the neighbourhoods, this tour celebrates them all. Tagging, bombing, stencil and painting. Join us and get an up-and-close introduction to the city’s incredible street art scene counting 2,000 or so street artists.
During this walk you'll find the coolest works of art in the most unlikely places, thanks to your street artist guide. He knows about the iconic images, pieces that have been up so long they’re now part of the cultural conscience, but he’s also aware of the newest creations and the artists behind all of them. His expertise and up-to-date information means you’ll find it all - from enormous, “can’t-miss” full-building murals to quirky little stencils or clever political messages, you’ll see the full range of what Athens, one of the graffiti capitals of Europe, has to offer.
Each area has its own style, and so does the street art you see there. Gazi, home to a new industrial space and exhibition center, boasts pieces with a more formal feel. Metaxourgio, the new hotspot, is all creative energy and there’s so much room here to express that. Psiri, the original home of street art in Athens, remains politically committed. What’s more, many of the works here have the full support of the community, are respected as works of public art and have survived for years.
The city is speaking to us all the time. Whether it’s about art and culture, sports, politics or love, people have been leaving their messages in plain sight on the streets of Athens for a very long time. With the help of your guide who can “translate” both the language and the images to give you a fuller picture of what you’re looking at, you’ll find out what these street pieces really mean. And this will help you understand this city, and this moment in time, a little better, too.
- English speaking guide
- Please make sure you are at the tour's starting point 10' prior to the tour start time.
- Your meeting point is Thissio Train Station. Detailed meeting instructions will be sent to you upon booking.
- This tour does not operate on January 1st, December 25th & 26th, Easter Sunday.
About the provider
Réservez en toute confianceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.