Right in front of the picturesque town of Pylos is Navarino Bay, a natural harbor where the island of Sphacteria stands in front of it as a wave breaker, protecting the bay from winds of the open Ionian Sea. Calm waters here offer ideal conditions for Sea Kayaking trips especially for beginners. The bay itself is a place of incredible natural beauty, with an impressive landscape, warm, crystal clear, waters and golden sandy beaches where sea turtles often return to lay their eggs. Two medieval castles guard the bay, recalling the famous naval battle of Navarino, one of the most important events in modern Greek history.
Our trip starts at Divari beach just a few kilometers away from the charming village of Gialova. Your guide will brief you on paddling techniques, safety measures, and equipment. Soon we shall hop on our kayaks for a trip around the Navarino bay like never before. We start paddling overlooking the town of Pylos and the Niokastro fort. Heading towards the imposing monolithic islet located at the south side of the bay, we visit the impressive natural stone arch. The islet I also a place of nesting and resting place for many species of birds. Weather permitting, we can circumnavigate it and visit a few of its sea caves, tunnels and arches. Our next stop is the unhabituated island of Sphacteria. Here, we jump out of our kayaks, stretch our legs and walk to the island’s viewpoint for taking pictures of an idyllic landscape and for story-telling. After some kayaking we shall make a stop at a secluded beach for swimming and snorkeling, and why not some cliff diving for those who feel more adventurous. Here we shall also taste our homemade picnic of local delicacies and relax under the sun. After this energy pumped stop, we will paddle back to the starting point to end an amazing day in the tranquility of the Navarino Bay.
Meeting time: 9:30 a.m.
Meeting point: Gialova beach.
Duration: 4 hours including breaks
Suitability: Family friendly, Group friendly, Couples, Seniors, Youth, Kids over 5 years old
- Super stable and easy to paddle single or tandem Kayaks with rudder
- Full Sea Kayak equipment: paddle, life jacket, spray-deck, waterproof jacket, waterproof bags
- Snorkeling equipment (goggles & snorkels)
- Land and water-based Sea Kayaking paddling instructions
- British Canoeing (BC) Sea Kayak leaders also hold first aid certificate.
- Eco-friendly cultural and educational guiding
- Picnic with freshly baked bread, fruits and vegetables, homemade olive oil, and cheese
- Liability insurance
- All taxes
- Water (please bring your own full bottle of water) - Transfer to meeting point
- Tip or gratuity
There is a minimum of 2 participants for the implementation of this outdoor activity.
We reserve the right to modify or cancel any outdoor activity due to bad weather or any other reason beyond our control.
Private trips available.
Discounts available for families and kids.
Hotel pick up / drop off upon request.
Know before you go
What to bring with you:
- Bottle of water (1,5 litre per person)
- Any specific medication you are on
- Hat or cap
- Short or long sleeve t-shirt (quick dry if available)
- Swimwear or shorts
- Change of dry clothes
- Sea shoes or flip flops or sandals (Avoid bulky shoes, trainers and socks
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Prenota con fiduciaWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.