- Experience a challenging trek in Samaria Gorge
- Admire the stunning natural beauty on a drive to the White Mountains
- Visit the village of Agia Roumeli after the trek
Enjoy a challenging trek through one of the longest and most famous gorges in Europe. On this excursion from Heraklion you’ll marvel at natural wonders throughout the day, from the White Mountains, to thousand-year-old forests, and much more.
Your full-day excursion to Samaria Gorge begins with pickup in Heraklion and a drive to Omalos, in the heart of the White Mountains, where you can enjoy breakfast before you begin your hike. The trek will take you over rocks and stones, through a forest of thousand-year-old trees and along a river by fresh-water springs. Along the way, you’ll have spectacular views of Crete’s most beautiful mountain range, and you are also likely to see mountain goats roaming in the wild. You will be accompanied by a professional mountain escort who speaks English, German and Greek.
Your escort will be there to explain all the necessary information about your hike and provide you with the tickets for the entrance and ferry. After your breakfast you will enter the Samaria Gorge, where you can walk at your own pace as your guide waits at the end of the group to help you out if you need them.
At the end of the trek you’ll visit the village of Agia Roumeli, where you’ll find a number of taverns, bars, and shops. You can enjoy some free time to take a swim or have some lunch. Late in the afternoon you’ll board a boat that will take you from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia, where your bus will be waiting to transfer you back to the starting point.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off (in Malia, Stalis, Hersonisos, Anissaras, Analypsi, Gouves, Gournes,Heraklio, Ammoudara, Agia Pelagia/Lygaria, and Fodele)
- Bus tickets
- Entrance to Samaria (€5)
- Boat ticket (€10)
Not suitable for
- Children under 6 years
- Pregnant women
- People with mobility impairments
- People with heart problems
What to bring
Know before you go
• At the time of booking please mention your hotel name and location (you will be notified by email about the pickup point and time)
• Pickup begins up to 90 minutes before tour starts and is done from central meeting points near the hotels (in the areas of Malia, Stalis, Hersonisos, Anissaras, Analypsi, Gouves, Gournes, Heraklio, Ammoudara, Agia, Pelagia/Lygaria, and Fodele)
• The 5 to 6-hour trek is challenging, you must have good trekking shoes or at least a sturdy pair of trainers
• This trek is not recommended for children under the age of 6, pregnant women, or anyone with health problems
• Infants will be seated with their parents on the bus and will not have their own seat
Prenota con fiduciaWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.