In the heart of Greece, Thessaly, with its exhilarating nature, and the Sporades, the beautiful lush green islands of Skiathos, Skopelos and Alonnisos, are going to seduce you. Majestic mountains (Kissavos), geological marvels (Meteora), famous rivers (the Pineios), gorges, valleys, lakes and a multitude of beaches. Discover the singular and exciting beauty of this part of Greece: Meteora, Pelion, Lake Plastira, Volos, Larissa, Tempi, Elati - Pertouli, the exotic islands of Sporades and many more destinations welcome you to the place where remarkable beauty takes center stage.
Top attractions in Thessaly and the Sporades
- Meteora: Το nature’s masterpieces, people have added their own. The largest, most important monastic community in Greece, after Mount Athos, a world-famous monument lies in Thessaly. Built on the evocative meteoric rocks, the monasteries of Meteora are waiting to reveal their treasures to you.
- Volos: Volos’ colourful waterfront is a gourmand’s delight, with its many eateries, including early industrial buildings transformed into multi-purpose centres that offer dozens of dining and entertainment choices. But don’t overlook its many fine museums and the archaeological sites of Dimino and Sesklo.
- Larissa: In this small Greek town, lying on both banks of the river Peneus, you will find important attractions such as its famous ancient theatres and the acropolis on the hill of Aghios Ahillios.
- Tempi: At Tempi, the Pineios River carves a narrow and verdant gorge between the mounts Olympus and Ossa. Nearby Ambelakia is famous for its listed grand houses.
- Pelion: Pelion is a universal favourite destination in Greece, with its fine traditional architecture, untouched villages, bridges, old fountains, grand houses and Moutzouris, its little train. Some of the most famous villages are Makrinitsa, Zagora, Tsagkarada, Mouresi, Kissos, Vyzitsa and Milies.
- Lake Plastira: Lake Plastira is where to go to relax in gorgeous surroundings and take up various sports and off-road driving.
- Elati & Pertouli: An ideal all-year destination. The meadows framed by fir forests at Elati and Pertouli, in the southern Pindos, are of incomparable beauty.
- The Sporades: Skiathos, Skopelos, Alonissos. Three lush green enchanting islands with stunning beaches. Among them, the famous sea park of the Northern Sporades. Discover Skiathos, the birthplace of Alexandros Papadiamantis, and enjoy a relaxing swim in Koukounaries, one of the most beautiful beaches in Greece. On Skopelos, where “Mamma Mia” was filmed, you will admire the unique architecture of its capital town (“Hora”). On Alonissos’ hiking trails, you will explore the beauty of unspoiled nature.
Enjoy the sea and sand, alone or with company
The most popular beaches are in Pelion, offering a choice of sand or white pebbles to go with the turquoise water. Some of the most magical are Horefto, Ai Ioannis, Papa Nero, Damouhari, Fakistra and from Mylopotamos to Potistika in southern Pelion. In the Sporades, you will find amazing beaches well-known around the world - beaches of outstanding beauty such as Koukounaries and magical Lalaria on Skiathos, and Kastani, Panormos, Milia, Stafylos and Velanio on evergreen Skopelos, and Agios Dimitrios, the star of Alonissos.
Hiking, 4Χ4, canyoning, ski, water sports
Walking through the old stone paths of Pelion, you will explore villages and monasteries, fountains, fertile forests, stone bridges. Hiking in the vicinity of Meteora offers incredible views. Kissavos is the ideal choice for off-road experiences, as well as mountain biking, and canyoning (the Kalypsous Gorge and its cascades). All beaches from Agiokampos, Pelion and the Sporades are ideal for all kind of water sports. The calm waters of the Pagasitic Gulf south of Pelion are suitable for sailing and sea canoeing. Choose the popular ski resort of Pelion to enjoy incredible views during winter, and the Lake Plastira for dozens of exciting activities (horseback-riding, archery, cycling, canoeing, rowing and more). Offroaders will enjoy the tracks around northern Pelion, Tsagarada and Kissos. One very special experience is crossing the Agrafa next to the river while the tracks in the mountains above Nafpaktos have drawn comparison with Switzerland.
Local culinary wonders
In Thessaly, you’ll enjoy homemade trahana soup, sometimes even for breakfast, in the mountain villages in the winter. Also on the traditional menu here are pies of various kinds. In Pelion, especially in Zagora and Portaria, women’s cooperatives produce various sweets for you to buy, while in the tavernas you might try the spetsofai (sausage sautéed with peppers) and the galotyri, creamy curd cheese. At the tsipouro joints of Volos you’ll be initiated into the tsipouro ceremony, which involves downing many little glasses of the fiery liquor, tempered somewhat by lots of small plates of mezedes. In Larissa and Trikala you will savour delicious cheeses like kasseri, kefalograviera and graviera.
Experience the best of Thessaly & Sporades
Rafting in the shadow of the extraordinary Meteora
İskados’un Koukounaries sahilinde doğanın çekiciliği tarafından cezbedilin
A boat trip to Skiathos’ remote and wild Lalaria beach
Exploring nature’s gifts in the Marine Park of Alonissos
- Monastic eyries, Meteora
- Tsipouradika, Volos
- Lake Plastira: a man-made marvel
- Pelion’s villages
- Lalaria beach, Skiathos
- Mamma Mia, Skopelos