- Hike the world’s deepest canyon
- A UNESCO Global Geo park
- Discover the beauty of Voidomatis springs
- Live an unforgettable experience
Vikos Gorgeis part of the 12,600 hectareVikos-Aoos National Parkand has been listed in the Guinness book of records as thedeepest canyon worldwidein proportion to its width.It is definitely a spectacular sight! It is accessible from several points, including the gravity-defying cliff-face monastery ofAgia Paraskeviat its southern end and the ridge-top village ofVikosat the other. The landscape of the 20 km long gorge is extremely diverse and is characterized by abrupt changes in altitude. The Vikos Gorge has been carved over millions of years by theVoidomatis River,a tributary of the Aoös River. As it splits the mountain in half, its slopes expose rock formations oflimestone and dolomite, dating back to 150 million years . Its vertical cliffs rise up to a height of 1700 meters.
The hike starts from Monodendri village with a 45 minute descend until we reach the river bed. The trail is ascending and descending surrounded by steep mountain tops and dense forests of deciduous trees and 1800 plant species. Before ascending to Vikos village, we will visit Voidomati’s springs, Greece’s cleanest and coldest river, with an average all year temperature of 8,5°C. If you are brave you might want to try the experience of a very refreshing dive in the crystal clear waters during summer months! The hike finishes at Vikos village, after a 1-hour ascent from Voidomatis springs.
- 09:00 Meeting in Monodentri with your guide, welcome briefing
- 09:15 Trek commencement
- 12:30 Short break for a traditional picnic snack
- 15:00 Visit to Voidomatis springs for rest and pictures
- 16:00 Exit the gorge in Vikos village
- 16:15 Local transfer from Vikos back to Monodentri
- 17:00 Arrival in Monodentri, end of the activity
- English speaking Trekking Hellas Guide
- All necessary local transfers for the operation of the activity
- Greek traditional picnic lunch
- Hiking poles
- Backpack / 4 participants
- Waterproof poncho jacket for the rainy days
You Should Bring with you:
- Small backpack
- Comfortable clothes (preferably quick-drying material: cotton or polycotton not denim)
- Light hiking shoes or hiking boots
- Hat or beanie sunglasses sunblock
- Waterproof jacket/membrane (for the rainy days)
- Your own personal water bottle. As part of our environmental policy and actions, we are committed to eliminating the use of plastic water bottles.
About the provider
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.