- See six different neighborhoods, ranging from working-class havens to boutique boulevards.
- Hear how Athens was transformed from a town into a modern city, all in the shadow of its own ancient glory.
- Uncover hidden spots with stories to tell or treasures (edible, wearable or collectible) to offer.
- Stop for coffee in a secret courtyard right in the middle of one of the city’s busiest spots.
- Catch up with what the city’s doing now – its street art, its new hotspots, its creative scene.
This is a tour about the true heart and soul of Athens. It’s a tour about its people, its habits – old and new-, its everyday life and its secrets.
During this walk you will witness some of Athens’ greatest contrasts: From the Old Royal Palace and the city’s posh areas, where the rich and famous have always settled, to the hotbed of rebellious young thinkers, that has been associated with forward-thinking and social experimentation, where students gather to argue the issues of the day.
You‘ll see buildings of amazing architecture, that reflect the vision of modern Athens as a successor to the glory that was Ancient Athens, as well as architecture that represents the Modernist and inter-war movements. As you are slowly discovering the city you will learn that there are many secrets that lie beneath the surface and that the past is always just a few steps from the present…
You’ll also get a chance to explore some gentrified neighborhoods that are devoted to small businesses, but now they’re all interspersed with trendy eateries and funky little bars. This is where you can see some of the city’s best street art, come across a new jewelry designer, or shop for vintage clothing at one of the retro boutiques.
And as modernity coexists with tradition, you’ll find out how the Ottoman past is still alive in Athens’ flea market, one of the liveliest neighborhoods of the city, where the old and the new generations still meet today.
By the end of our tour, we hope that you’ll have seen the true soul of Athens and its people, a city with a thousand stories still standing, as it has since ancient times, right on the border between the East and the West.
- English Speaking Guide
- Please make sure you are at the meeting point 10' prior to the tour's start time.
- Tour not available on November 17th, December 6th, December 25th & 26th, January 1st, Easter Sunday.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.