- Enjoy a hassle-free visit with an e-ticket for the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki
- Download the app and your audio tour on your smartphone prior to your visit
- Marvel at the Ceramics from a gallery of Hagia Sophia, the Marble icon with Praying Virgin, and the Gold-embroidered Epitaphios
- Discover the Golden hypopyon of Alexius I Comnenus, the Double-sided icon of the Virgin, and the General view of Mount Sinai
Experience the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki at your own pace with a skip-the-line e-ticket and a captivating self-guided audio tour on your smartphone.
Receive your ticket by email, download the app and the audio tour on your phone, prior to your visit, and travel back in time to experience the glory of some of the most prominent items in the collections of the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki
Put on your headphones and discover the Wall mosaic from Acheiropoietos Church, the Silver reliquary, and The Tomb of Eustorgios through the power of storytelling, while learning historical information and uncommon stories and anecdotes from the past. The tour’s content is the result of in-depth research, distilled into brief original stories that will make your visit both engaging and informative. The audio tour can be used repeatedly and at any time, before or after your visit.
This is an unmissable opportunity to gain valuable insights into Byzantine history and beyond and relate to the exhibits in the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki in an entirely original way.
Tour: Museum of Byzantine Culture: a guide to Byzantine Thessaloniki
Wall mosaic from Acheiropoietos Church/ Double-sided icon of the Virgin/The tomb of Eustorgios
Wall mosaic from Acheiropoietos Church (10 mins): A particularly important and widely spread art form in the Byzantine Empire are mosaics. In the museum you”ll have the opportunity to admire an exceptionally rare fragment of a mosaic dating back to 470 AD that adorned the oldest functioning Byzantine church in Thessaloniki, the Basilica of Panagia Acheiropoietos. Allow Clio Muse to help you dive deeper into the mosaic art, learn thoroughly the techniques and explain each and every one of the symbols featured in this stunning wall mosaic.
Double-sided icon of the Virgin (8 mins): An icon of unique importance awaits you. It is about a double-sided icon dated to the 14th century. On one side, Panagia Glykophilousa is presented, holding in her arms and kissing the little Christ. But what about the other side of the icon? And one more clue: Are you aware of the mimes in the Byzantine era? Well, listening to our stories you shall find out everything about the unique and peculiar story of the mime that was mutilated after the intervention of the Virgin Mary.
The tomb of Eustorgios (12 mins): Have you ever been in a crypt? During the 3rd and 4th centuries Christianity began to spread to its upper affluent social classes. As a result, an abundance of tombs decorated with funerary displays has been preserved. Who are presented on the frescoes of this tomb? Who was Eustorgios? All the answers can be found in our stories.
- Adult entry ticket to the Museum of Byzantine Culture in Thessaloniki
- Skip-the-line service
- Self-guided audio tour on your smartphone (Android & iOS)
- An activation link to access your audio tour
- Offline content (text, audio narration and maps) to avoid roaming charges
- Live Guide
- Smartphone or headphones
- Food and drinks
- App not compatible with Windows phones
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Please note that your Triparound Voucher is not your entry ticket.
- Download the ticket(s) and audio tour while on WiFi prior to your visit. The mobile signal may be weak at the site(s).
- After booking, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to access and download your audio tour. Please check your email spam folder as well
- Ensure that your smartphone is fully charged and that you bring your earphones
- Guided visits for the visually impaired persons, prior reservation needed
- Tactile labels for the permanent collection
- Tactile stations
About the provider
Clio Muse Tours
Explore more things to do
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.