• Take a sneak peek into traditional craft techniques such as weaving and making sandals and leather goods.
• Delve into the history of traditional Greek music by visiting musical instrument workshops and museums.
• Visit the art spaces of contemporary creators.
• Enjoy the many faces of Athenian architecture.
• Solve fun quizzes, collect gems and redeem them in local stores.
If you love delving into the creative soul of a destination, this tour, created by Narratologies & Discover Greece is for you. The traditional crafts scene of Athens – handmade sandals, ceramics, musical instruments, hats, jewelry, weaving and more – is as exciting today as when it flourished in the 19th and 20th centuries. You’ll hear the personal stories of the craftspeople and visit their workshops (some third-generation family businesses and others brand new) in hidden gem spots of downtown Athens and in neighbourhoods you’d probably never discover otherwise. Plus a few architectural and cultural gems thrown in for good measure!
And don’t forget, this is not just an ordinary self-guided tour. This is a gamified exploration experience, where riddles and quizzes for each new place you visit, engage you more with your surroundings and make you discover even more exciting new things in each stop. The best explorer gets the biggest collection of gems and wins special rewards in our network of local souvenir shops and museums. Check out our handpicked collection of shops, they are really something!
Meet your local storyteller: God Ceramos
I’m the son of Dionysus and Ariadne and I’m the god of pottery. I’m best known for protecting ancient Greek potters and I’ve got a whole Athens neighbourhood that’s still named after me. Guess what else is named after me… the word “ceramics”. So I’m the perfect person to introduce you to the crafts scene of Athens. Not just potters but the craftspeople making sandals, hats, jewelry, musical instruments, embroidery and more. Artists, too. And I’ll point out some architectural and cultural gems while I’m at it. Sound good? Ok then. Head to Hadrian's Arch, at 50 Vasilisis Amalias Avenue, and leave the rest to me.
- 21 Places
Narratologies app for Guided Tour Navigation.
• Stories and Fun Facts for each place you visit.
• Location-based Quizzes and Riddles.
• Collection of Gems that can be redeemed at our Local Souvenir Shops and Museums to get promotional Codes and Gifts.
• All taxes.
• The tour is recommended for a morning walk.
• Passing by all the stops will take around 3hrs but you will need another 1.5hrs to visit all the museums.
• Ideal times are 10:00-15:00 on Tuesday-Friday as some museums and workshops are closed on Monday and Sunday or close earlier on other days.
• Museum tickets not included.
• Take a cap, sunglasses and water with you and wear comfortable shoes.
• Have your mobile phone fully charged.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Prenota con fiduciaWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.