- Experience a challenging trek in Samaria Gorge
- Admire the stunning natural beauty on the drive to the White Mountains
- Visit the village of Agia Roumeli after the trek
- Witness extraordinary rock formations
- Learn all about indigenous rare plants, flowers, and bird species
Enjoy a challenging trek through one of Europe's longest gorges. Marvel at natural wonders, from the White Mountains to a thousand-year-old forest.
Samaria Gorge, the longest and likely the best-known gorge in Europe, lies 4,000 feet above sea level. Your full-day (12-hour) excursion to Samaria Gorge begins with a pick-up in Chania and a drive to Omalos, in the heart of the White Mountains, where you can enjoy breakfast before you start the hike.
The trek will take you over rocks and stones, through a forest of thousand-year-old trees and along a river and by fresh-water springs. Along the way, you’ll have spectacular views of Crete’s most beautiful mountain range and you are likely to see mountain goats roaming in the wild. You will be accompanied by a professional mountain escort who speaks English, German and Greek.
Your escort will be there to explain all the necessary information about your hike and provide you the tickets for the entrance and ferry boat. Entrance fee : 5€ (children up to the age of 15 years old are free of charge). Ferry fee : 11€ ( Sougia ferry). These fees have to be paid to the guide upon arrival.
After your breakfast you enter the Samaria Gorge. Walk at your own pace as your guide will be at the end of the group to help out if you need them. At the end of the trek you’ll visit the village of Agia Roumeli, where you’ll find a number of taverns, bars and shops. Enjoy some free time to take a swim or have some lunch. A meeting point will be arranged so you can collect your ferry tickets from your guide.
Late in the afternoon you’ll board a boat that will take you from Agia Roumeli to Sfakia, where the bus will be waiting to transfer you back to the starting point.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off (in Panormo, Scaleta, Adele, Platanias, Missiria, Rethymno town, Atsipopoulo, Kavros and Georgioupoli)
- Bus tickets
- Admission to Samaria (€5)
- Boat ticket (€11)
What to bring
Know before you go
• At the time of booking please mention your hotel name and location. You will be notified by email about the pickup point and time
• Pickup begins up to 90 minutes before tour starts and is done from central meeting points near the hotels, only in the areas of Perivolia, Halepa, Halidon Street Alpha Bank, Chania center, Kladissos, Nea Chora, Agioi Apostoloi, Xrysi Akti, Daratso, Galatas, Kalamaki, Stalos, Agia Marina, Platanias, Gerani, Kontomari, Pyrgos, Psyionfrou, Maleme, Tavronitis, Kolymvari, Minothiana, Paraniana and Kamisiana
• The 5 to 6-hour trek is challenging. You must have good trekking shoes or at least a sturdy pair of trainers
• This trek is not recommended for children under the age of 6, pregnant women or anyone with health problems
• Infants will be seated with their parents on the bus and will not have their own seat
Prenota con fiduciaWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.