- The archaeological stars like the Acropolis and the Ancient Agora of Athens, sites of world-heritage importance you just can’t miss
- The other unmissable spots – a modern Athens tour of the places where Athenians actually hang out.
- The bustling food & flea markets of Athens, full of colors and smells
- The feeling that you’re getting to know the city -both ancient and modern Athens, not just the sights.
From the Acropolis, where your guide will explain both what you’re looking at and what it meant to the people of ancient Athens, to the Ancient Agora, where the history you learn will cover philosophy and politics, you’ll spend an important part of the tour in the past.
After the Acropolis and Ancient Agora tour, however, you’ll come straight back to the present with an exploration of the neighborhoods of modern-day Athens that are changing right now. You'll stop for a coffee in one of Athens' secret gardens, a surprising café in an unexpected setting in the heart of the city.
Then, take a walk around the neighborhoods of Monastiraki, the colorful flea market, and Psiri and keep an eye out for street art – your guide will know where – as well as cool new design shops and vintage clothing stores. Check out both the pre-war and the post-war buildings and the concentration of hardware and specialty item stores in an area they happily share with brand-new funky little bars.
Head into the traditional “belly of the city”, the bustling Varvakios Market, the biggest and most popular fish, meat and vegetable market in the whole of Athens and explore the main spice street of Athens too. Enjoy the food tastings along the way – you’ll see that here, too, there’s a choice between tradition and novelty. You'll get to try cheeses from various parts of Greece, cured meats, olives, and delicious Greek sweets!
In Plaka, the oldest part of Athens, find out if there’s a compromise between history and modernity as you explore an area that is trying to offer more than just souvenirs. Here, you'll also have lunch, in a traditional tavern at the feet of the Acropolis, serving delicious Greek food.
This full day ancient and modern Athens tour will alllow you to discover the city -and what a city! sure, a day is still not enough, but it’s a great start to a beautiful new friendship.
- Hotel pick-up in front of the reception
- Plaka stroll
- Guided tour to Acropolis
- Guded tour to Ancient Agora
- Coffee break
- Visit Monastiraki area
- Visit Psiri area
- Visit Food Market and food tasting
- Visit Univercity & Academy of Athens & National Library
- Syntagma square to watch the change of the guards
- Should you need any further assistance please liaise with the hotel's Concierge
- Licensed English speaking guide (Acropolis)
- Professional English speaking guide
- Entry fees - it is essential that you pre-purchase tickets for the archaeological sites, as availability is very limited. Please contact us if you would like us to purchase them for you (recommended to ensure availability and the correct time slot).
- Extra food or drinks not mentioned in the description
- Transfers (if needed)
• It is essential that you pre-purchase tickets for the archaeological sites, as availability is very limited. Please contact us if you would like us to purchase them for you (recommended to ensure availability and the correct time slot).
Tour not operating on January 1st, March 25th, May 1st, December 25th & 26th, Easter Sunday.
About the provider
Explore more things to do
Prenota con fiduciaWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.