We enjoy a half-day trip to Cape Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon enriching our visit with one of the most astonishing sunsets in Greece. On the way back, we drive through the Athens Riviera and learn about all the interesting waterfront points where the locals hang out. Be like a Greek with us! Don’t miss it!
- Visit the Temple of Poseidon arising from the edge of Cape Sounio
- Watch the impressive panoramic view from the south-eastern peak of Sounio against the Saronic Gulf
- Let the breathtaking sunset travel you through the colorful canvas of the sky
We depart toCape Souniowith the bus of Ammon Express together with our friendlytrip attendant-archaeologist, from the“Smart-Eco-Pickup”atHalandri metro station. The distance is 60km and lasts approximately 1 hour.
We reach the rockyCape Souniowhen the sun is about to immerse into the Aegean Sea. The best moment to enjoy the picturesque area of Sounio and capture its beauty is during sunset. Even Homer talks about Sounio in his epic poem Odyssey and great leaders as Menelaus of Sparta stopped at Sounio to provide honors to his fellow companions. “Holy Sounio, Cape of Athens.
We have about 1.5 hours to walk around the magnificentTemple of Poseidon, the God of the Sea and second most powerful among the Olympian Gods after Zeus. The temple is one of the most important in central Greece and second most important after the Temple of Acropolis. The ancient Greeks used to build their sacred areas in certain points measured in a way so that there was a form of triangulation among them (equilateral and isosceles triangles). This tendency was very common in ancient Greece and is known as triangulation. The Temple of Poseidon is the peak of an isosceles triangle with the Temple of Aphaeas in Aegina and the Temple of Hephaestus in Thissio.
Discover the signature on the marbles, of various famous authors who passed by the Cape of Sounio. Very characteristic is the one of the romance author Lord Byron (1810A.C) who couldn’t resist and left his marking on it. Let the romantic aspect of Sounio travel you while you watch theidyllic sunsetfading into the clear blue Aegean Sea. It is one of the most remarkable sunsets in Greece.
We are back at the Smart-Eco-Pickup of Ammon Express, at Syntagma metro Station, at Syntagma Square.
Take a break from the fast-moving pace of the city!
Athens dressed-up in its night lights has a different glamour – Don’t miss it!
Join us and feel like being with a friend who is excited to show you around like a Greek!
- Round-trip transportation to Cape Sounio and the Temple of Poseidon
- Transportation in a new luxury air-conditioned bus
- English-speaking escort archaeologist
- Free Wifi on the bus
- Basic travel insurance (during transport)
- Entrance fee to the archaeological site of Sounio (10€)
- Guided tour inside the sites
- Personal expenses
- Smart-Eco-Pickup at Halandri metro station at 15:00 until February 28th
- 14:30 from March 1st until March 25th,
- 16:00 from March 26th until May 31st,
- 16:30 from June 1st until July 31st
- 16:00 from August 1st until August 31st
- 15:30 from September 1st until September 15th
- 14:30 from September 16th to October 28th
- 13:00 from October 29th until December 31st
Pick up is at Halandri Metro Station, very close to the city center in order to avoid the city traffic jam. Drop off point is at Syntagma metro station, at Syntagma Square in the city center. You will receive directions by e-mail with the location of Halandri metro station. With the “Smart-Eco-Pickup” and drop-off service we depart directly from Athens and save time (up to 2 hours), which is disposed for the main attractions and sights during the day. Be a Smart-Traveler and join our green environment policy to reduce the city’s pollution and traffic jam. Act like a local by using the modern metro of Athens just 1min from the highway.
AVERAGE EXCURSION DURATION
- 6 hours
About the provider
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.