- Explore the Akrotiri peninsula, starting with the Gouverneto monastery.
- Admire the monastery's architecture, artifacts, and woodcrafts.
- Descend through the Avlaki Gorge, passing by Katholiko Monastery and St John the Hermit's cave.
- Note the 40-minute descending path and uphill return.
- Visit the Agia Triada monastery with its gardens and museum.
- See religious icons and codices, taste and buy wine and olive oil.
- Reach Stavros beach with sunbeds, umbrellas, and calm waters.
- Have a delicious Cretan lunch in Stavros fishing village.
- Depart with lasting memories of Cretan lifestyle, religion, and nature.
Your local guide will meet you at your preferred location within the Chania town region. Your private daytrip will start by heading towards the peninsula of Akrotiri. We will first visit the Gouverneto monastery, one of the oldest monasteries in Crete that looks like a Venetian fortress. Marvel at its magnificent architecture, its church with artifacts and woodcrafts before we start the descending trek.
Walking down the footpath from Gouveneto monastery through the Avlaki Gorge, in a wild and beautiful landscape, we will come across the ruined Katholiko Monastery and the cave of St John the Hermit. Please note that this is an easy 40 min descending path that we will have to walk up again (it is more demanding on the way up).
Our next destination is the the Agia Triada monastery, built in the 17th century with Byzantine-style architecture on the orders of a Venetian family. It has exceptionally beautiful gardens and in its museum, you can admire important religious icons and a rich collection of codices. The monastery continues to operate today and its monks are engaged in the production of wine and olive oil that you are very welcome to try and buy if you wish.
Going through local fields with plantations we will next reach the beach where you will have plenty of time to enjoy a swim. Stavros beach offers sunbeds and umbrella amenities and it is generally sheltered from the wind therefore making it perfect for swimming and especially safe for children.
This tour would not be complete without a delicious lunch in a traditional taverna in the fishing village of Stavros savoring Cretan local recipes.
At the end of your tour, our mission will be accomplished – you will leave with enjoyable memories and a much better understanding of Cretan lifestyle, religion and nature.
- Personal pick up and drop off with flexible start time
- Private sightseeing tour with a local insider guide
- Transfers with a fully airconditioned car/van
- Entrance tickets to the monasteries
- Traditional Cretan lunch (including drinks)
- All taxes
- Personal expenses
PLEASE NOTE: As this tour involves walking, comfortable walking shoes are recommended, please do not forget your sunglasses, towel, swimming suit and sun hat.
About the provider
ALMA DE CRETA OE
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.