· Walk in the Peloponnesian Paradise
· Admire unique natural landscapes
· Waterfalls and lush vegetation
· Picnic with local delicacies
· Family friendly
· Led by local guides
At the foothills of mount Lykaion lay the springs of a beautiful “female” river called Neda. The river is a natural boundary between Ilia and Messinia. According to Greek mythology, Neda was a nymph, a goddess of water and she was one of those who nourished Zeus. The gorge of river Neda is a natural wonder of the Messinian countryside. The constantly varying landscape, the lush, the turquoise waters and the majestic cliffs, make the crossing of this gorge an unforgettable experience.
Our route begins near ancient Fygalia where we gain access to the gorge from the nearby bridge. We get all the necessary equipment and we are ready to do an amazing crossing. We follow the stream which leads us into a totally unspoiled natural environment. We walk through wild vegetation, old plane trees and wild oaks, through narrow rocky passages and impressive ponds discovering a well hidden and genuine natural paradise.
Near the village of Neda we discover an enchanting portrait of nature. A creek called ‘’ neraidorema’’ (fairy creek). Crystal waterfalls flowing endlessly create blue ponds, then pour into the main river and continue rapidly their course to the sea. At this spot is the end of our journey. We relax in the wake of the gurgling water enjoying traditional delicacies and refreshing swims in the cool waters of the ponds.
Duration: 5-6 Hours
Trail distance: 4 km
Route type: Riverine crossing, unidirectional
Activity duration with breaks: 5-6 hours
Difficulty: Easy / Moderate in few parts
Suitability: Relatively good physical condition needed
Meeting point: Village Platania
· Bottle of water
· Spare pair of shoes that will get wet. Suitable are hiking shoes or trainers (Open shoes, sandals or flip-flops are unsuitable)
· Hiking backpack (if available)
· Weather will not affect the operation of the tour. However if canceled due to unfavorable weather conditions, you will be given the option of an alternative date or full refund
· Confirmation for this tour will be received at time of booking
· During the activity we may find places in the river that will require mandatory swim for a few meters in order to cross.
Book with confidenceWe have carefully selected the most reliable providers in Greece.
Handpicked tours & activitiesAll our tours and activities have been chosen for maximum quality and reliability.
Flexible cancellation policyDiscover Greece is in close contact with providers to ensure flexibility in the event of cancellation.