Whether on the mainland or on an island, with vertical rocks, dry or with waterfalls, Greece’s gorges promise you unique rafting and canyoning holidays. Discover the most popular destinations, and go explore!
Rafting in Greece: Popular destinations
1. Voidomatis: One of the easiest and most scenic Greek rivers to descend. It is ideal for beginners and the descent terminates at a traditional arched bridge.
2. Evinos: A pleasant and easy river, good for beginners as well as more advanced rafters. The usual 9km route terminates at Hani tou Bania (Vlahomantra).
3. Arahthos: Some 17 exciting kilometres and a spectacular gorge at the end await somewhat more experienced rafters. The section between the bridge of Tsibovou and the stone bridge of Plaka, which is the largest single-arched bridge in the world, is particularly impressive, though the entire river is full of spectacular scenery. This is an absolute must-do.
4. Venetikos: This gorgeous river combines both easy and difficult sections. One of the hard bits is between the bridges of Trikomo and Spanos.
5. Tavropos: A green and pleasant route that passes under the old stone Viniani bridge in the section between the Dafni bridge and Parkios village.
6. Aliakmonas: Aliakmonas will reward more experienced rafters. Some tricky and impressive rapids in the initial section and near Nestorio, Kastoria, provide a beautiful and demanding descent.
Canyoning in Greece: Popular destinations
1. Kalypso in Kissavos: Vertical rocks, pools and 75m high cascades need experience before you manage to hang over their fluid beauty.
2. Vikaki in Zagori: Easy yet impressive, canyoning the Vikaki begins in a narrow opening between two vertical rocks and terminates at the Lazaridi bridge.
3. Viniani in Evrytania: This gorge combines both incredible natural scenery and the human imprint. You start at the old village and end at an old stone bridge after traversing five cascades.
4. Spileo in Grevena: This is a medium-difficulty gorge with vertical sides rising 200m, quite a lot of water and small cascades.
5. Lousios in Arcadia: This gorge offers two routes: the shorter one involves swimming but no ropes while the longer one includes a 15m waterfall which must be crossed by rappelling down a bridge.