Pure indescribable beauty. Priceless treasures await your discovery. Secret beaches far from the madding crowds, hidden bays, demanding yet rewarding, charming island villages awash in light, ancient traditions, authentic, unsullied flavours. Unusual islands off the beaten track.
Places known to and enjoyed by the chosen few. Travel through the Aegean and Ionian seas seeking your own small secret and exotic paradise. Get to know the hidden gems of the Greek islands. Discover a different Greece. See the unexplored island treasures of Greece here.
Greece’s 10 Hidden Gems
1. Alonissos: A return to nature’s innocence. One of the less developed islands in the Sporades, Alonissos lures you in with its unpretentious magic. Charming and pure, its lush, green landscape and pristine beaches with crystal-clear water make it the perfect destination for a relaxing holiday in Greece, filled with beautiful imagery.
2. Amorgos: The steep island of The Big Blue. Life on the wild side, mellowed with traditions, firewater and laid-back villages. Come to this island in the Cyclades and discover an island untouched by mass tourism, whose venerable traditions, old paths and remote villages will make you forget the 20th century, never mind the 21st. Take a swim in its crystalline sea and idyllic beaches. Sip a nightcap of rakomelo, homemade honeyed firewater and admire the beauty.
3. Ikaria: A study in contrasts and longevity. Villages that march to a different drummer. High, bare, rocky mountains that alternate with green slopes, flowing streams and beaches that could have been imported from the South Seas. The secret of long life and Ikarians’ legendary capacity for fun, food, mirth, music and drink. Are you ready for something completely different?
4. Ithaca: Symbolic of the ‘sweet’ homeland that everyone searches for in dreams and in reality. This green island, with its gorgeous coves and a wooded landscape adored by yachters and sailors, is an island for lovers of reflection and tranquility, for travellers excited by discovery, and most of all … for those in search of their own private Ithaca.
5. Kastelorizo: The Oscar-winning star of the southeast Aegean. This tiny island with the impressively restored mansions that line the port and only town, guards its Greekness fiercely but its serene beauty, warm welcome and riveting history will win your heart.
6. Kalymnos: A treasure island for divers and climbers. An enviable alternative beach destination for modern-day Robinson Crusoes who crave simplicity and authenticity and seek for serenity, relaxation and outdoor recreation.
7. Karpathos: Wild, untouched beauty sculpted by winds, customs and centuries-old traditions. This Greek island holds its past close: in its ancient acropolis, caves, churches, living traditions. The setting is more than dramatic: stunning vistas from untouched, mountain-clinging villages that keep vigilant watch over the sea, despite being hammered by ferocious winds.
8. Koufonisia: a pair of divine islands. Two small islands, exotic beaches, unspoiled Cycladic beauty, great food paradise. Koufonisia offer the ultimate summer getaway holiday destination. There are spots where the fun never stops, and secret places for peace, tranquility and relaxation.
9. Samothrace: Mysterious and ethereal. The challenging mountain trails of Mount Saos or Fengari (Moon) – the highest peak in the Aegean – ‘secret’ waterfalls, wild natural beauty, raging winds, the Hora with its living traditions: the energy of this island will overwhelm you.
10. Paxi and Antipaxi: Two islands, a perfection in miniature. Discover tropical beaches, spectacular cliffs, groves of ancient olive trees, thick vineyards and greenery down to the water’s edge. Rare treats include wine sweeter than kisses and luxurious villas where you’ll feel like royalty. Once-in-a-lifetime experiences to look forward to your summer holidays.